Skip to main content

Mary Oliver and This Week's Despair

No celebrity death, no crisis, no tragedy, no political issue (not even the 2016 election!) has gotten so many of the people in my social media feeds talking about the same thing the way that the death of Mary Oliver has my friends talking. My incredibly varied friends. Conservative Christians, Progressive Christians, Pagans, Polyamorous, Monogamous, Straight, Queer, Cis, Male, Female, Nonbinary, Black, White, Latina, Middle-aged, Millennial, Parents, Nonparents, Poets, Artists, Writers, Teachers, Small Business Leaders, Nurses, still-haven't-figured-out-what-I-want-to-do-with-my-life-ers, you get the point. They're all mourning for Mary Oliver.

Because Mary Oliver wrote about the human condition. She wrote about the universal experience of life as simultaneously sorrowful and wonderful. She could reach a vast and varied audience, because she was writing about things that are true for everyone.

Oh and what a good thing it was that she did reach such a vast audience. Some of my friends shared how Mary Oliver inspired them to prioritize what mattered to them. Some shared how Mary Oliver helped them grieve. Sam Sax wrote, “i read her to children who wanted to die / & in that moment they wanted to die / a little less.”

Poetry is powerful. Vulnerability is powerful. Saying how we are all human is powerful. But Mary Oliver didn't stop there. She also told us to keep living. Keep listening. Keep looking. Go outside & just watch.

My husband had cancer. When he recovered, my partner became seriously ill with something mysterious and debilitating and, so far, undiagnosable (and therefore untreatable). Sometimes he is ok enough to parent and enjoy food and laugh. Sometimes he is bedridden. We cannot predict what tomorrow will be. There's no pattern. He slept through August. He suffered through September. He struggled through October. Most of November was fine. Most of December was not fine. January has been despair-inducing.

This week, my partner spent four days in a row in bed, eating halves of bananas and small bowls of rice. At the end of the 4th day, I asked my partner, “What will we do?” He said, “I will get a diagnosis, and then I will get treatment.” I cried, “And then what? Who will get sick next?” My husband had cancer, and now my partner is incredibly ill, and maybe my lot in life is to watch my Loves suffer.

I sunk, hunched over my knees, forehead kissing the floor like a prayer. I sobbed into my hair. “I don't want this!” I meant life. I didn't want to keep watching, to keep being the helpless one at the bedside just holding a hand. It's too painful. I don't know how to keep living with all of this pain.

Then I thought of my 4-year-old son who was sick with a fever this past weekend. I thought of the sweet way he shivered, said, “I'm cold. I need to lie down,” and immediately fell asleep. I thought of how precious he was. Even if the absolute worst happened, even if my child were dying, I would want to be there to hold him.

“Fine!” I cried, “Fine! I'll take it.” I choose this life. With the pain, because of the pain, this life is precious. My husband's warm chest is precious. My partner's tender hands are precious. My son's small body is precious. I'll take it.

Mary Oliver says keep looking. Keep listening. Watch. It's so hard sometimes. It's so hard. But I hear you, Mary.

Maker of All Things, Even Healings
By Mary Oliver

All night
under the pines
the fox
moves through the darkness
with a mouthful of teeth
and a reputation for death
which it deserves.
In the spicy
villages of the mice
he is famous,
his nose
in the grass
is like an earthquake,
his feet
on the path
is a message so absolute
that the mouse, hearing it,
makes himself
as small as he can
as he sits silent
or, trembling, goes on
hunting among the grasses
for the ripe seeds.
Maker of All Things,
including appetite,
including stealth,
including the fear that makes
all of us, sometime or other,
flee for the sake
of our small and precious lives,
let me abide in your shadow -
let me hold on
to the edge of your robe
as you determine
what you must let be lost
and what will be saved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Family Story, Part 1

I was never good at monogamy. I cheated on almost every boy I dated in high school, and I dated a lot of boys in high school. It wasn't just for cheap thrills, either. I would legitimately develop crushes or sometimes fall in love with multiple people at the same time. There's a cultural myth that you can't actually love two people at the same time. You really truly only love one of them. This is a guiding principle behind so many romantic comedies and a major plot point in both Gone With the Wind and The Once and Future King, which were big influences on me growing up. So when I was young and struggling to be monogamous, I fluctuated between distrusting my own feelings (because it's impossible to actually love multiple people!) and believing myself to be broken (because actually loving multiple people isn't normal/acceptable). I was regularly called a slut, and I carried a great deal of self-hate. At age 16, when I fell in love with my current husband,  Rob,

Today was Bad

 My Partner has been in bed all day. He has eaten a banana and a bowl of peas. I hate Chronic Lyme Disease so much.  We were going to visit his parents tomorrow. Outside with masks on. For the first time in a long time. I had to cancel. I'm just crying and crying.  I'm thinking about how my family formally rebuked me for loving him. I'm thinking about all the people that claimed to love him and then just left when he was sick. He hasn't been endlessly good to me, but I can't think of anything he's done that's heinous enough to warrant these walls. This separation. This excommunication. What principles are worth a suffering man's isolation?  I'm thinking about one of my friends who had covid months ago and still has issues from it. I'm thinking about all the other people - all the children - who have post-covid syndrome. I'm thinking about how the people who aren't taking covid seriously do not have a strong enough fear of chronic illness.

Spoken Word on Spotify

Until recently, when I looked for Spoken Word on Spotify, I got a lot of Levi The Poet, Shane Koyczan, and Neil Hilborn. Now these poets are great, and I appreciate a lot of their content. But they are also all white dudes. The human experience - the American experience - is so much more broad than any white man can express.  But then I found out that Sarah Kay was part of a compilation called 27: The Most Perfect Album. Then I found out that Andrea Gibson has a bunch of content on Spotify, and most of it is set to pretty music! Then I found out that Button Poetry started making Best Of albums and putting them on Spotify! Huzzah!  Sure, I could figure out how to make playlists on youtube of all my favorite Button videos, buuuuuuut I'm not gonna. I'm on Spotify more often than I'm on youtube, and Spotify doesn't have ads. So, if you're like me, and you love Spotify and Spoken Word and the opportunity to understand perspectives that are different from your own, pl