Skip to main content

Coffee & Honey Narrative Poem

 What follows is a poem about a negative experience I had being a third for an established couple. I've had other very positive experiences in triad relationships. This one just happened to be bad. 


~


I take honey in my coffee. 

No matter how careful I think I'm being, 

I always get some on my fingertips. 

Oh well. I love to lick it off. 


She is both the honey and the coffee. 

The bitter makes the sweetness sweeter. 

My caution is irrelevant. Each day

she will be who she is, and I will enjoy her. 



I was crying about something else. Not him. 

"I'm really a delicate creature," I said.

"I can tell…" he said, "I want that…"

So I wrote a poem to his gentleness. 


I wonder, now, if even then there was 

manipulation in the sentiment. Did he think me

easy prey? Did he hear delicate as moldable? 

Could those tender hands intend the harm inflicted? 


Or was the abuse almost accidental? Is toxic

masculinity a sword he's unaware of wielding? 

Does coercion derive from delusions of duty? 

Did he and does he believe himself gentle? 


The result remains regardless. I meant delicate 

like breakable, of course. There is breaking 

in his belittlement. Contempt be deep or 

shallow, I will wade here no longer. 



She called me Girl of My Own Heart 

and gave me to him in trust. 

She called him Man I Love Most 

and gave him to me in trust. 


How could I honor the giving 

but reject the gift?

How could I appreciate his place 

in her life after [  this  ]? 


~


Once upon a time she described for me 

the way she'd like to wash my hair. 

What is mourning of a missed moment? 

What term describes this empty ache? 


Once upon a time I described for her 

the way a Lover cried with me over past abuse. 

She said, "I am envious of this intimacy."

I said, "I wanna cup it in my hands and pass it to you."



Coffee and honey. Caution and mess. 

Woman I love. Man I detest. 

She is who she is. She is with who she's with. 

She sees nothing she needs in my friendship. 


The sweetness was sweet. This is the bitter. 

I don't get to be someone who cries with her. 

Or laughs. Or celebrates her victories. 

Or quietly supports her many dreams. 


Because they are an Us, 

and I am just me. 

Because I cannot change 

the way I saw what I've seen. 


Because her explanation of his effort 

is harder to believe 

than the painful honesty of her saying, 

"I think he hates me." 


~


Have you ever had caffeine withdrawal so bad

you barfed? I have. Less than a mile 

from home I had to pull over to puke. 

[   This  ] messed me up like that. 


Coffee and love will do that to you. 

What's your risk tolerance? What's the 

worth of the reward? How high

are your hopes that you'll make it home? 


I wish I could have friendship without 

pining for more closeness. How

awful to be both delicate and 

the one who dives right in. 


My Lovers tell me, "No. 

Don't hate yourself for this. 

Where would any of us be

without your hopefulness?" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Family Story, Part 1

I was never good at monogamy. I cheated on almost every boy I dated in high school, and I dated a lot of boys in high school. It wasn't just for cheap thrills, either. I would legitimately develop crushes or sometimes fall in love with multiple people at the same time. There's a cultural myth that you can't actually love two people at the same time. You really truly only love one of them. This is a guiding principle behind so many romantic comedies and a major plot point in both Gone With the Wind and The Once and Future King, which were big influences on me growing up. So when I was young and struggling to be monogamous, I fluctuated between distrusting my own feelings (because it's impossible to actually love multiple people!) and believing myself to be broken (because actually loving multiple people isn't normal/acceptable). I was regularly called a slut, and I carried a great deal of self-hate. At age 16, when I fell in love with my current husband,  Rob,

Today was Bad

 My Partner has been in bed all day. He has eaten a banana and a bowl of peas. I hate Chronic Lyme Disease so much.  We were going to visit his parents tomorrow. Outside with masks on. For the first time in a long time. I had to cancel. I'm just crying and crying.  I'm thinking about how my family formally rebuked me for loving him. I'm thinking about all the people that claimed to love him and then just left when he was sick. He hasn't been endlessly good to me, but I can't think of anything he's done that's heinous enough to warrant these walls. This separation. This excommunication. What principles are worth a suffering man's isolation?  I'm thinking about one of my friends who had covid months ago and still has issues from it. I'm thinking about all the other people - all the children - who have post-covid syndrome. I'm thinking about how the people who aren't taking covid seriously do not have a strong enough fear of chronic illness.

Selling Art and Being Clear about Financial Intentions

I have started to collect my poems into chapbooks and sell them for $10 each. It is a strange thing to sell one's art. It is uncomfortable to ask friends, family members, and followers to buy your art. When so much content is free, it's easy to be picky about what we pay for. Certainly I, myself, am picky about which art I pay for.  I appreciate artists who are transparent about their finances and their intentions, so I want to offer up my own honesties on those topics. Here it goes:  Our Current Financial Situation We are a polyamorous family of 8 living on one income. My husband is a computer programmer with a good salary. My partner is a college student working on a computer science degree. My main gig at the moment is being Teacher Mommy to our five kids.  I worked outside the home before the pandemic. Most of my income at that time paid for childcare. Maybe I will work outside the home again in the future. Maybe I will continue to focus on parenting and art. We’ll see.  W